Head of impact investing at Castra
Are you an experienced venture capital or private equity investor looking to make a positive difference to the world? My client is a family office that would like to achieve social and environmental benefits while generating financial returns. They are currently looking for an investment director to (initially) build the impact investing (VC) portfolio and eventually be fully responsible for all their Private Equity and Venture Capital investments.
My client is a single-family investor (Amsterdam) that invests into several different asset classes:
• Real Estate (mostly direct and some funds)
• Public Equity (50% direct and 50% funds (European and USA))
• Private Equity (15% direct and 85% funds but moving towards more direct in the future)
• Impact Investing / Venture Capital (mostly direct)
The team currently consists of a CEO, CFO, CIO, and a senior associate focusing primarily on public equity. There are vacancies for Investment Manager (impact investing/private equity), Investment Manager (public equity) and an associate (impact investing/private equity).
Social Impact / Venture Capital
In the asset class “social impact investing”, the aim is to make early-stage investments in areas of the economy that will make a (positive) difference within the energy transition (environment) and also to look at ways to tackle inequality.
Although you will initially focus on building the impact investing portfolio, the role will grow to include responsibility for the entire Private Equity (Direct and Funds) investment portfolio.
In summary, but not limited to:
Deal-flow and execution of social impact investment opportunities
• Deal origination (e.g., market and company research, networking, leveraging LP base)
• Evaluation of opportunities (e.g., financial modelling, valuation, structuring, commercial due diligence)
• Manage deal due diligence and documentation (financial, legal, tax and operational)
• Execute Deal negotiations
• Portfolio management (e.g., financial and progress reporting, KPI setting, strategy development, performance improvement projects, buy-and-build activities)
• Preparation and execution of refinancing and exits
• Periodic portfolio performance reviews, valuation and return calculations
The same responsibilities as above but also relating to general Private Equity opportunities
• Leadership: hiring, coaching and developing of juniors
• General operational activities
• Continued personal development in the direction of director
• Strong academic background: Masters in a numerical discipline (Business, Finance, Econometrics, Engineering etc.). Strong grades will be given preference.
• Minimum of 8 years of work experience with a preference for experience in Private Equity, Venture Capital, or Strategy Consulting
• The successful candidate is a streetwise deal maker who seizes opportunities: able to negotiate/execute investment opportunities.
• The candidate is a top performer and received excellent performance reviews
• Analytical, curious, flexible, team player, driven to succeed with a high level of professional and commercial flair. The social side is important; energetic, down-to- earth, and fun to win with. They should also be a trusted partner for the family. Discretion is very important
• The candidate must desire to work in a small team in close relationship to the CIO and the analyst/associate team.
• Ability to ‘connect’ with entrepreneurs (“gun factor”)
• Fluent in English and strong preference for Dutch speaker
What makes the investment role a Castra a highly desired place to work?
• Variety and diversity of work and responsibility: Because you are working in a small team that covers several asset classes you will develop as an all-round investment professional, developing expertise in Impact investing (VC) and Private Equity
• Responsibility: Initial focus is impact investing (VC) but your role will significantly expand to include Private Equity investments (direct and funds)
• Small but growing team: The team has only recently formed and will continue to expand. The culture is youthful, energetic, and positive. There is a planning to hire another associate in your team.
• Work-life balance: Whilst there will be busy periods (during deals etc) it is definitely possible to have a good work life balance. For the ideal candidate they will consider a 4-day week. Because the team is still forming and to make communication work best, the workplace will be at the Amsterdam office and not at home. There will be flexibility.
Apply for this job
Please fill out your details and attach your curriculum vitae.
Your application has been sent successfully.