Investment Analyst at Value Enhancement Partners
Our client is a uniquely positioned independent private equity firm with a niche focus on the small- to mid-market. They are active investors and are actively involved with their portfolio companies (not just financially but strategically and often operationally). They are well known for turning companies around/restructuring (20-30% of their portfolio) and are also much focused on professionalizing and structurally growing companies, both organically and through buy & build: They have done at least one add-on in each of their last 4 platforms.
They are looking for an Investment Analyst with the right DNA, competences and experience to strengthen the investment team. Keywords are: strong analytical and social capabilities, proactive, entrepreneurial, all-round business savviness and a healthy dose of personality.
Value Enhancement Partners office is located at the WTC in Amsterdam, at the heart of the financial center. However, the team spends most time at the portfolio companies throughout the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Very much a ”niet lullen maar poetsen” attitude!
VEP is active in the small- to mid-market (revenues of c. €25 to €500m) in the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium. Their investment focus is to team up with companies with more potential and be actively involved in moving the company in the right direction.
VEP was founded in 1999 by former strategy and turnaround consultants providing consultancy services to struggling companies while often obtaining an equity stake. This matured over the years from taking minority stakes and financing on a deal-by-deal basis to raising their first fund in 2009. In 2015 Fund II was raised and in November 2018 Fund III (EUR 100M) was raised. This is the ideal time to join their team.
What makes VEP a highly desired place to work?
- Excellent team: The VEP team consists of eleven investment professionals with diverse backgrounds: five partners, one investment director, two investment managers, two associates and one analyst. To date, their highly selective hiring process has resulted in a strong and coherent team, backed by a CFO and two support staff members
- Hands on: The investment team works together in a hands-on, accountable, energetic and transparent way. Every team member takes significant responsibility and gets ample room to accelerate. Depending upon the situation you may find yourself between 1-5 days per week at a portfolio company!
- Great dealflow and conversion: 2/3 deals (platforms) per year plus add-ons.
- Culture: Down to earth, both creative and analytical, approachable, entrepreneurial, smart and ambitious.
- Skin in the game: It is the intention (at some point) that you will have the opportunity to co-invest and gain carried interest (very transparent calculations).
In the role of analyst/associate your primary focus will be to originate deal flow and significantly contribute to value creation within portfolio:
- Deal origination (e.g. market and company research, networking)
- Evaluation of investment proposals (e.g. financial modelling, valuation, structuring, commercial due diligence)
- Manage deal due diligence and documentation (financial, legal, fiscal, technical)
- Deal negotiations and arrangement of bank financing
- Portfolio management (e.g. financial reporting, KPI setting, strategy development, buy-and-build activities). This can be up to 50% of your work!
- Preparation and execution of refinancing and exits
- Periodic portfolio performance reviews, valuation and return calculations
- Support in fundraising preparation and investor relation activities
- General marketing and operational activities
- Strong academic background: Masters in a numerical discipline (Business, Finance, Econometrics, Engineering etc.)
- 2-4 years of work experience in strategy consulting, corporate financial advisory (Lev finance, M&A, Financial dd, restructuring) or private equity.
- Ability to independently build, analyze and understand complex financial information and models (Excel). Very strong analytics!
- Strong PowerPoint skills and ability to build crisp storylines (e.g. teasers, investment memoranda)
- Self-starting, ability to work independently and take responsibility
- Ambitious and highly driven to succeed with good level of professional and commercial flair
- Feeling with the lower end of the mid-market and natural ability to ‘connect’ with entrepreneurs (DGA’s)
- Fit with the VEP DNA: strong on both the content and social side, energetic, down-to-earth and fun to win with
- Native Dutch and fluent in English
Apply for this job
Please fill out your details and attach your curriculum vitae.
Your application has been sent successfully.